Friday, December 13, 2013


The Nanaimo Clippers posted their second straight win in less than two weeks over the Express spoiling Teddy Bear toss night with a 6-3 win.

The visitors were ready to go right from the start and put the Express in catch up mode most of the night.

Nanaimo established a solid forecheck which gave the Express all kinds of trouble in their own zone. And eventually it led to chances and Clipper goals.

Devin Brosseau took advantage of an Express turn over and opened the scoring at 5:12.

The opening frame belonged to the Clippers. They outshot the Express 16-6. The only decent scoring chance the Express able to muster was a one timer from the slot by Ryan Rosenthal and he didn't hit the net.

Before the period was done the Clippers added a pair of goals.

A bad read on a line change in the neutral zone allowed Nanaimo to turn a 2 on 2 rush into a 2 on 1 and Korey Morgan finished it off sliding it home on the backhand.

That was followed 60 seconds later on a goal by Sheldon Rempal who banged home the rebound of a wide shot off the end boards and past Gordie Defiel.

The fans at the Poirier Sports and Leisure Centre got their opportunity to toss their stuffed animals on the ice seconds after a power play expired as Canon Pieper wired a shot top corner on Tanner Kovacs at 3:19 of the second period.

On this night the Clips had an ability to match every Express offensive attack.

Brendan Taylor snapped a puck past Defiel just 3:25 later to put Nanaimo up 3 for a second time.

Bo Pieper pulled the Express back within two as he got his own rebound off a shot that hit the end boards and snapped it past Kovacs at 16:14.

90 seconds after that it was a 3 goal Nanaimo lead for a third time on as Nick Guerra took the puck to the net and got his own rebound to put into a gaping 6x4 for a 5-2 lead at 17:44.

The Express had one last legitimate chance to try and claw back into the game in the third period when they got a 5 on 3 for 1:55 following penalties to Eric Margo and Tanner Kovacs for delay of game.

Bo Pieper scored his second of the night on the backhand to pull the Express back within two for a third time.

The home side had some chances in the third period to try and draw closer but just couldn't dig themselves out of the early hole they put themselves in.

Korey Morgan added his second of the game into an empty net to round out the scoring.

The Express outshot 34-31. And this is despite starting the game dressing just 16 skaters. And losing Jace Hennig after he crashed into the end boards in the second period and didn't return. They also played with out Cody Boyd for 12 minutes following a misconduct he was assessed following a fight when he came to the defense of teammate Jackson Cressey after he was hit by Mason Mitchell. The short bench didn't help matters Friday.

The Express will have a day of rest before traveling to Surrey on Sunday afternoon. 

No comments: