Sunday, December 21, 2014


It was deja vu all over again for Brett Supinski and the Express. Supinski scored the double overtime winner for a second straight night this time giving the Express a 5-4 win over the Prince George Spruce Kings. The only difference this time around for Supinski is he scored Saturday with plenty of time left on the clock as opposed to the buzzer beater goal Friday night vs. Victoria. Click here for box score

The win gave the Express a two game winning streak heading into the Christmas break.

Saturday the Express jumped on the Spruce Kings early.

Dustin Cave got things started by scoring his first Express goal on the powerplay beating Alex Brooks-Potts on a screen shot just shy of the 5 minute mark.

Just over five minutes later the Express added to their lead. Again it was a defenceman and it was Daniel Fritz scoring a beauty shorthanded as he rushed the puck up the ice and used his speed to attack the lone defender back and cut to the net and score his 8th of the season.

4:05 later it was a 3-0 Express lead in Corey Mackin's 31st of the season from Supinski and Brendan Lamont.

The goal chased Brooks-Potts after 3 goals on 9 shots.

Despite the three goal advantage, it wasn't a true reflection of Express dominance in play. Prince George was playing fairly well despite the early hole.

Late in the first period saw the Express get into penalty trouble with infractions called on Nic Coltura and Cole Bevan 20 seconds apart giving the visitors a 5 on 3 for 1:40.

Prince George would make it count with Chad Staley scoring with 48 seconds remaining in the first period.

Braiden Epp cut the Express lead to one 2:26 into the second period as he threw the puck towards the front of the net and it bounced off something in front and slid past Chris Tai.

The Prince George comeback was complete in the opening seconds of the third period when Jeremiah Luedtke beat Chris Tai with a wrist shot over the glove from the left circle.

Braiden Epp then added his second of the night as he re-directed home a Ryan Fritz pass for the fourth straight goal by Prince George giving them their first lead of the night.

Jesse Jenks who relived Brooks-Potts in the Spruce Kings crease in the first period had shut the door allowing his team to make the comeback.

The Express finally broke through on Jenks as Corey Mackin scored his second of the game and 32nd of the season with just over three minutes remaining in the third period to send the game to overtime tied at four.

Like Friday nothing was decided after 5 minutes of four on four.

The second overtime at 3 on 3 was pretty wild. Both teams were trading two on one breaks like they were going out of style.

Finally the Express buried one of the many quality chances both teams had. Brett Supinski buried the rebound of a Corey Mackin shot out of the air for his second straight overtime winner.

Chris Tai finished with 35 saves for his 9th win of the season in the Express season.

Now the Express are on a much deserved Christmas break. And will have a week and a half off before returning to action on New Years Eve when the Express head up the Coquihalla highway to take on the Merritt Centennials.

I would personally like to take the time to thank everyone for taking the time to check out the blog and have a safe and happy holiday season.

No comments: