Wednesday, February 8, 2017


The Express battled back in the final 24 minutes but saw their come back effort come just short in a 5-3 loss to the Chilliwack Chiefs. Click here for boxscore

For Chilliwack it clinched a 7 game season series sweep of the Express.

The Express returned home to begin a 4 game home stand to wrap up the regular season.

Another chapter of the Express injury riddled season was written over the weekend with Lawson Fenton and Reid Cooper getting hurt forcing AP's from the Vancouver Northeast Chiefs Kolby Matthews and Jonathan Holloway to dress for the Express between the pipes.

Matthews, who has dressed for the Express as an AP in the past made his first BCHL start and second appearance for the Express. Overall he had a pretty solid game going up against one of the BCHL's top team.

He may have taken the loss in the game, but Chilliwack needed to get to the net in order to convert close plays in front of the net because shots from well out weren't going to beat the Express goaltender.

Kohen Olischefski opened the scoring for Chilliwack converting a feed from behind the Express net and tucking it home.

Six minutes later Kale Kane buried the rebound of a Jordan Kawaguchi shot for a power play goal giving the Chiefs a 2-0 lead after the first period.

The Chiefs outshot the Express in the first period by a count of 20-5. The Express have Matthews to thank for minimizing the damage. He looked poised and confident in the crease with the Chilliwack shots peppered his way.

Davis Bunz converted his own rebound as he cut in from the right wing to make it 3-0 Chiefs. Four minutes later it was 4-0 on Kane's second of the game finishing off a 2 on 1 chance in close to the Express crease.

Owen Stout returned to the lineup on the weekend road trip in the interior. He has picked up right where he left off as one of the Express top point producers. He scored three goals in two games on the road. Wednesday he scored a highlight reel goal late in the second period taking a Mitch Newsome pass and beating a Chiefs defender off the rush then slid a backhand home between the pads of Mathieu Caron to get the Express on the board. Stout finished the game with a goal and an assist.

That goal sparked an Express rally that carried into the third period.

Will Lawrence made it a 4-2 game on a wraparound just 1:15 into the period.

Then back to back Chilliwack penalties gave the Express a 5 on 3 advantage for just over a minute, despite good puck control in the Chiefs zone the Express couldn't capitalize.

Moments after the teams returned to 5 on 5 Jordan Schulting pulled the Express within one walking in from the point and snapped a shot past the glove of Caron. The former Chiefs defenseman had a goal and an assist in the third period.

With 10 minutes left in the third period there was plenty of time for the Express to complete the comeback.

It was at this point the Chiefs worked to put the clamp on the Express come back bid. Kolby Matthews came up with some key stops to keep the dream of the come back alive.

In the final minute of the third period following a face-off in the Express zone Chiefs captain Jordan Kawaguchi dashed the Express come back hopes tapping home a Kohen Olischefski pass at the edge of the crease for 5-3 Chiefs lead.

Kawaguchi finished with a goal and an assist. Kale Kane finished with two goals and an assist.

The Express will have the weekend off before returning to action next Wednesday when they host the Wenatchee Wild. 

No comments: