Sunday, August 28, 2011


The Coquitlam Express picked up their second win of the pre-season with a 4-2 decision over the Surrey Eagles.

It was the second meeting in three days between the two clubs. The Express took the first meeting 5-1 Friday night in Coquitlam.

Surrey opened the scoring in the first period on the powerplay when DJ Jones' point shot got past a screened Khaleed Devji.

Just over a minute later the Express pulled even when John Siemer tried to hit Taylor Love with a backdoor pass, en route the puck hit an Eagles player and got past veteran Andrew Hunt.

Surrey dressed a roster that closely resembled what they will have on opening night, and it showed in the second period as they started to take control of the game.

Beau Orser restored Surrey's lead when he got a point shot through a screen and past Khaleed Devji.

Both teams split their goaltending duties equally with Connor Barrie coming off the bench for the Eagles and Billy McGladrey finishing the game for the Express.

The Express pulled even with another powerplay goal before the second period was done. John Siemer scored his second goal of the game and left those watching in awe when he roofed a wrist shot from the goal line up over Barrie.

It was the Billy McGladrey show in the third period. The Express got themselves into penalty trouble early in the frame and the Eagles enjoyed some extended 5 on 3 time. McGladrey was peppered with all kinds of rubber but he turned it all away to keep the game tied at two.

Alex Petan rewarded the strong play of McGladrey by breaking the tie banging home a rebound for the third Express powerplay goal of the game with just 2:49 to go. The goal came following a shot from Alex Kerfoot. The first year Express forward had 3 assists in the win.

Mitch Nardi gave the Express some insurance when he cleaned up his own garbage following a breakaway.

The Express have McGladrey to thank for the this win for not allowing a goal in his half of the game. And that included turning aside 21 Eagle shots in the third period alone. Final shots in the game were 45-29 in favour of the Eagles.

Coquitlam now has a 2-1 record this pre-season. Their next game is Tuesday night at the Burnaby Winter Club vs. the Chilliwack Chiefs.

No comments: