Friday, October 17, 2014


The Chilliwack Chiefs picked up their 8th win in their first 10 games by scoring twice in the third period to knock off the Express 5-3 Friday night extending their losing streak to four games.

Jordan Kawaguchi got Chilliwack off on the right foot at 11:43 as he was able to find a loose puck in the crease and poke it in the discarded goal.

If there's been one bright spot on an Express season that hasn't had too many it's been their power play. It struck with just under three minutes remaining in the first period as Jackson Cressey scored his first of the season beating Mitchell Datz from the slot.

The second period started with a bang. First Colton Kerfoot scored on the rebound of a Jackson Cressey shot 59 seconds into the second period for what would turn out to be the lone Express lead of the night at 2-1. Cressey and Kerfoot each finished with a goal and an assist.

But as quickly the Express took the lead, Chilliwack took it right back. 51 seconds after Kerfoot's goal Jake Larson on a breakaway tied the game beating Pierce Dushenko with a wrist shot over the glove. Then as soon as the Express fished the puck out their net they were doing it again 8 seconds later as Craig Puffer scored also beating Dushenko with a wrist shot over the glove.

Again the Express saving grace their power play would even things up as Brett Supinski scored from the slot at 11:47 with his fourth power play goal of the season to even things up at 3. The special teams battle favored the Express Friday as they went 2 for 6 on the power play while killing off all 4 Chilliwack power plays including back to back penalties late in the second period to preserve the 3-3 tie heading to the third period.

Coquitlam had a strong push to open the third period looking to take the lead for a second time but it wasn't meant to be.

Against the flow of play somewhat Craig Puffer scored his second of the night come off the boards and beating Dushenko with a backhand from the slot for a 4-3 Chilliwack lead. Then Jake Larson scored his second of the night with just over 6 minutes remaining scoring on a deflected shot that fluttered into the net to essentially seal the game.

The effort level from the Express can't be faulted in this game. It was a fairly even contest. Chilliwack did finish with a 34-31 edge in shots.

The teams will meet again Saturday night for the second game of the weekend home and home in Chilliwack.

No comments: