Thursday, February 15, 2018


In the first of a home and home the Penticton Vees used a five goal third period to pull away from the Express in a 7-1 win. Click here for boxscore

The Express not only had to battle the BCHL's top team, they also had to battle a bug that had inflicted a few players in the room.

Cody Hough was called up from the Vancouver Northeast Chiefs of the BC Major Midget League on the blueline. The AP had a prominent game right off the bat helping create some of the better scoring chances for the Express in the first period. On one particular play he received a pass on the rush and snapped a shot wide.

Ryan Sandelin opened the scoring for the Vees getting go the net to create traffic in front of Clay Stevenson and re-direct a Jonny Tychonick point shot for his 7th of the season.

The shots in the first period were 15-5 for the Vees, but didn't reflect some of the chances the Express were able to create.

Adam Scheel finished with 20 saves on the night. One of his best came on a 2nd period Express power play to deny Josh Wildauer at the side of the Vees net.

Midway through the 2nd period Michael Campoli's shot from the wing was stopped by Clay Stevenson who kicked out a juicy rebound that Owen Sillinger slammed home from the slot for his 28th of the season. The 28 goals for Sillinger matches the total of Express leader Eric Linell.

The Express opened the third period with a power play with Chris Klack serving a interference penalty.

The visitors used the power play to cut into the Vees lead early in the third period. Jack MacNab re-directed a Troy Robillard point shot at the :58 second mark.

Down a goal in the third for the Express created the hope that a comeback was plausible for the Express.

It didn't take long for the Vees to absolutely crush those hopes.

Just under 4 minutes later Ryan Sandelin scored his second of the night beating Stevenson with a wrist shot from the right wing. It's at this point the Vees put the game to bed.

Kenny Johnson scored his first of the season from the left wing on a shot that changed directions on a skate to make it 4-1 just over three minute later.

Owen Sillinger then walked out of the corner and roofed a shot for a 5-1 Vees lead on Sillenger's 2nd of the night.

56 seconds later the Express got a double whammy. Taylor Ward scored on a wrist shot to make it 6-1. Also on the play Josh Bruce went down on a knee one knee collision with a Vees player. The Express forward was in a fair amount of discomfort as he needed help to get off the ice.

Wyatt Sloboshan capped off a run of 5 goals in 10:22 for the Vees to round out the scoring.

The final shots finished 42-21 in favour of Penticton. The loss extended the Express losing streak to 6.

The teams meet again Friday night in Coquitlam in the second half of the home and home. 

No comments: