Tuesday, February 8, 2011


It may have been the wildest game for the Express all season. When it was all said and done the Chiefs came away with a 8-5 win.

Langley started the proceedings scoring a pair of goals before the game was 7 minutes old on goals by Trevor Gerling and Kevin Tuohy. It was the 4th straight game on this home stand that saw the Express playing from behind in the first period.

The Express had a quick response to pull even with goals by Riley Mcintosh and Destry Straight 35 seconds apart.

Just 52 seconds later Langley re-stored their lead when Trace Strahle's point shot was tipped past a screened Khaleed Devji.

The Express came back just under 4 minutes later Destry Straight set up Justin Georgeson who finished off his 5th of the season.

The goals kept coming as Darnell Dyck Ryan Bakken and scored 2:13 apart to give Langley a 5-3 lead after the first period.

8 total goals in the first period. The final 7 came in a 9:48 span.

The goals slowed down in the second period, but that doesn't mean the action didn't. The middle frame saw the goaltenders take over. More specifically Khaleed Devji. He made a number of spectacular saves to keep the Express in the game.

Massimo Lamacchia cut the lead down to one when he snapped home his 28th of the year off the rush.

The second period saw Khaleed Devji make a total of 18 saves. Many of them in fine fashion to keep the Express trailing by just a goal after two periods.

Entering the third period the Express were still waiting for their first powerplay of the game. They were given three to open the third period. But it was the Chiefs getting the better of the chances. Dillon Scholten the most of unlikely of candidates to score while a man short slowly rushed up the ice and wired a slapshot past Devji to re-store the two goal Chief lead.

That shorthanded goal took some wind out of the Express' sails in their bid for a comeback. Langley added to their lead when Kit Sitterly banged in a loose puck at the side of the Express net.

Jared Eng took a nice feed from Massimo Lamacchia to pull the Express back within two. Then the Express were given their fourth powerplay of the third period and much like the first three, they couldn't do anything with it. The Express finished the night 0 for 4 on the powerplay. And are just 1 for 15 in the month of February.

Josh Hansen sealed the game in the final minute with an empty net goal.

The loss saw the Express finish their 5 game home stand with a 2-3 record. They remain tied with Cowichan Valley for the 7th and final playoff spot. But the Express now have just one game in hand on the Caps for the rest of the season and that will be used in the season finale vs. Salmon Arm.

The Express now hit the road for 4 in a row starting Friday in Victoria, then travel to Alberni Valley, Powell River and Surrey.

No comments: