Friday, November 29, 2013


There will be new goal lights required before the Express next home game vs. Prince George after they won a goal filled affair with the Surrey Eagles 9-6.

The Express exploded out of the gates. Joey Santucci had what would turn out to be a memorable sequence for the 19 year old forward who got his night started by opening the scoring at 3:16 snapping home a pass from behind the net.

48 seconds later Canon Pieper was hauled down and awarded a penalty shot. He made no mistake beating Devon Fordyce with a deke to the forehand.

Then the Santucci show resumed. He scored his second of the period just 24 seconds later to make it 3-0. Then 9 seconds after that Santucci capped off his hat-trick to give the Express a 4-0 lead.

At the end of it the Express had scored 4 times in a span of 1:21 with Santucci scoring 3 of his goals in the same 1:21 span. I don't have any official records, but it may have been the fastest hat-trick recorded by an Express player in franchise history.

Up 4 less than 5 minutes into the game, the Express appeared to be in cruise control.

Before the period was done the Eagles brought the Express back down to earth somewhat.

Braeden Russell got the Eagles on the board just 1:19 after Santucci's 3rd of the night.

Then the Eagles pulled within one on goals by Joseph Drapluk and Russell's second of the game 1:35 apart late in the period and it was 4-3 after 20.

Surrey completed their come back just over two minutes into the second period as Russell completed his hat-trick swatting home a loose puck at the side of the Express net.

Then the Express went back on the attack.

Adam Rockwood re-stored the Express lead powering the puck to the net and sliding it home for his 7th of the season and 3rd goal in his last 4 games.

1:25 later Marc Biega broke out on a 2 on 1 with Joey Santucci, and the defenceman decided to keep the puck instead of trying to set up Santucci for his 4th of the game. It turned out to be the right decision as Biega snapped it past Fordyce.

Then on the power play Ryan Rosenthal from the high slot re-directed a Marc Biega point shot to put the Express up 7-4.

These teams were filling the net after two periods. Why stop in the third?

Nathan Renouf picked his his 4th point of the night scoring at the side of the net to go with his 3 assists at 1:40.

Jackson Cressy responded for the Express 2:20 later banging home the rebound of a Jace Hennig shot.

The teams finally settled down and took a 14 minute break from scoring goals until Canon Pieper scored his second of the game into an empty night while the Express were shorthanded. It's their 10th shorthanded goal this season. Canon now his 3 of them. And the Express as a team have now scored 4 of their shorthanded goals vs. the Surrey Eagles this season.

Nic Pierog scored a powerplay goal with 25 seconds left in the third period. Then finally the clock had run out on this high scoring affair to put an end to a wild night.

With the win the Express re-store a 3 point lead on Surrey for 3rd place in the Mainland division. They will now begin to use up their 3 games in hand on the Eagles with a trip to the Island for games in Alberni Valley Saturday and Nanaimo Sunday. 

No comments: