Monday, March 2, 2020


Jack Watson wasn't denied his first BCHL playoff shutout in the final minute tonight as he finished with 26 saves as the Express blanked Langley 3-0 to take a 2-0 series lead in their Mainland division semi final. Click here for boxscore

This game wasn't as chippy as the series opener. The first period saw Langley edge the Express 8-7 in shots. There weren't many notable scoring chances for either side. Each team clanged a shot off the post in the opening period. Brian Scoville's seeing eye point shot hit iron for Langley. Danny Pearson dinged the red paint with a shot off the rush.

Watson was tested more in the second period as the Express had some trouble finding their rhythm. In part due to the Express struggling to find success in the face-off circle. Watson made 12 saves in the middle frame.

He kept Langley at bay until the powerplay got the offence rolling. Greg Lapointe blasted home his first of the series midway through the period to open the scoring assisted by Cooper Connell and Josh Wildauer. This season the Express are 33-3-1 when Josh Wildauer records a point.

The Express scratched their way through the game and by the third had been able to keep the Langley scoring chances at a minimum.

The powerplay continued to pick apart Langley in the third period. Ethan O'Rourke scored his first of the series early in the stanza for a 2-0 Express lead.

Tempers did flare a little in the third in game 2. Not to the extent they did in game 1. Cooper Connell scored the Express third powerplay goal of the night for a 3-0 Express lead with Brian Scoville in the box for cross checking. Game 2 was the fourth time in the last six meetings between the teams that the Express scored at least three powerplay goals in a game.

Jack Watson feared his shutout bid was going to be broken in the final minute of the third period for a second straight game. But a Langley goal was waved off on a high stick.

Game two wasn't an oil painting. But it got the job done for the Express. The series will shift to Langley for game 3 on Tuesday.

No comments: