Saturday, October 20, 2012


Former Express Cam Lawson broke a 1-1 tie with 1:19 to go to give Prince George the lead for good in a 2-1 win over the Express extending their winning streak to 4 games.

The win pulled Prince George 3 points clear of the Express for first place in the Mainland division tied with the Chilliwack Chiefs.

Saturday's contest marked the Express debut for newcomers Brandon Morley and Phillip Zielonka. Morley was acquired from the Surrey Eagles in a trade this week that saw Brady Shaw go the other way. Zielonka was acquired from Omaha (USHL)

The new comers helped spark the Express attack in the first period. They had plenty of jump and all the lines certainly appeared to have some extra jump in their step.

Morley set the tone in the first period doing what he does best throwing his weight around and dishing out some hits. His new mates certainly followed the lead. The hits led to turnovers which turned into Express scoring chances.

One of those hits led to the games first goal. Mitch Nardi threw a hit along the boards allowing the Express to free up the puck for Beau Orser who blasted home his first Express goal past Kirk Thompson to open the scoring at the 16:00 mark.

The Express energy in the opening period saw them outshoot the Spruce Kings 13-9.

The game started to turn in Prince George's favour in the second period. The middle frame was scoreless but the Express were outshot 12-6.

Prince George pulled even early in the third. Coltyn Hansen showed great speed cutting to the net from the right side and following up on the play was Matthew Bisset who poked it past Huggins to tie the game at 1 at 1:35.

The third period was much like the second. The play was scrambly. Both teams weren't able to generate many quality scoring chances. And when they did the goaltenders were there to turn them aside.

Two of the better chances for the Express came in the final 5 minutes of the third period with the Express looking to break the deadlock. Zielonka had a good chance from the slot, but Thompson made a good save squeezing the pads together to deny the Express new comer.

A few moments later John Siemer had a good chance from the right wing, he cut to the goal and tried to slide the puck past Thompson but he kicked out his right leg to deny the skilled Express forward.

Those saves proved to be vital for the Spruce Kings. Former Express Cam Lawson broke the deadlock with just 1;19 remaining in third period as he buried a centering pass from behind the net by Shayne Morrisey.

That would be all Prince George would need on this night.

Kirk Thompson turned aside 24 of 25 Express shots for the win. Cole Huggins meanwhile made 31 saves on 33 Prince George shots.

Both teams went 0 for 3 on the powerplay. The Express still have not allowed a powerplay goal at home killing off all 35 shorthanded situations on home ice.

The Express have now fallen below .500 on home ice with a 3-4 mark.

They will look to get back into the win column on Friday when they host the Chilliwack Chiefs.

No comments: