Sunday, October 27, 2013


Lyndon Stanwood made 49 saves as the Express fired a season high 52 shots on goal, but it still wasn't enough as the Chilliwack Chiefs dropped the Express 4-3 Sunday afternoon.

It was a game where the Express deserved a better fate based on their effort but weren't rewarded for it at the end of the 60 minutes.

The Express jumped on the Chiefs right from the start of the game peppering the diminutive Chiefs net minder. They broke through just over 5 minutes in as Corey Mackin banged home the rebound of a Marc Biega shot for his 11th goal of the season.

Less than 2 minutes later the Express struck again as Mackin set up Jace Hennig for his 5th goal of the season. Hennig played on the top line with Mackin and Captain Ryan Rosethal as leading scorer Adam Rockwood missed his first game as he attends the selection camp for Team Canada West for the upcoming World Junior A Challenge.

The Express speed was very effective in the first period helping create a number of quality scoring chances in the first period as they fired 20 shots on goal but couldn't put any more past Stanwood whose athleticism made for a number of quality saves in the first period.

Chilliwack got on the board late in the opening period while shorthanded. Their captain Austin Plevy danced into the Express zone. He couldn't beat Zach Hodder one on one, but followed up his chance and set up Quentin McShane who blasted a one timer past Gordie Defiel.

The Express re-stored their lead early in the second period early as Bo Pieper hustled to the puck along the boards and fired the puck at the net where Joey Santucci was alone in front who easily re-directed home his 7th of the season.

Stanwood's best save of the many he made Sunday afternoon came midway through the second period. Bo Pieper led a 2 on 1 with Mackin and Bo slid the puck across to Mackin who had a gaping net but couldn't best Stanwood who dove to his right to make a remarkable save.

The Chiefs used that big save as a turning point to try and get back in the game despite being heavily outshot.

Jaret Babych on a feed from Jake Hand scored just moments after the Stanwood save on Mackin to cut the Express lead down to 3-2.

Despite a 37-14 advantage in shots through 40 minutes the Express only had a 1 goal lead to work with.

4 minutes into the third the game was even as Kurt Black set up by Austin Plevy slid the puck through the legs of Defiel.

Then midway through the frame Ben Butcher from the point blasted a high shot that went over the glove of Defiel to give Chilliwack their first and only lead of the game.

Looking for the equalizer the Express kept firing pucks at Stanwood who wouldn't be beat the rest of the night. That included a pair of powerplays for the Express who finished 0 for 6 on Sunday. And like Friday night vs. West Kelowna, the outcome would have been better for the Express had the powerplay been a difference maker.

The Express are back in action Friday night for their lone game of the weekend when they will try again to pick up just their 2nd win on home ice and snap a 4 game losing skid when they host the Alberni Valley Bulldogs.

No comments: