Thursday, March 5, 2015


The Chilliwack Chiefs took home ice to their advantage winning the first two games of the Mainland Division semi final vs. the Express taking game 2, 6-2 in Chilliwack.

Chilliwack peppered the Express goaltender Chris Tai with the first 8 shots of the game. They opened the scoring less than three minutes into the contest on a power play goal by Jake Hand whose shot hit an Express defender on the way to the net and found its way past Chris Tai.

In game 1 the Express had 40 shots on David Jacobson, but the Express brass felt they didn't get enough pucks to the dirty areas that could lead to goals. They did a better job of that in the first period of game two. And it made a difference on the tying goal. Daniel Fritz's point shot got to the net leading a scramble and Jackson Cressey finding the puck in the crease to swat home a rebound to tie the game at one.

After the fast start on the shot clock for Chilliwack, the Express raised their game and finished the period only being outshot 14-13.

This game was turned on it's ear in a 1:59 span in the second period. It started with Tipper Higgins finding a loose puck in front of the the Express net and swatting into the open net.

Then just 20 seconds later Higgins shot from the right wing bounced to the Express biggest thorn in their side Jordan Kawaguchi who scored his 9th goal vs. the Express this season and 2nd of the playoffs for a 3-1 lead. That was followed up by a goal by Brandon Potomak who cut to the middle with a toe drag and snapped the puck between the pads of Tai.

The top line of Lamont, Supinski and Mackin cut the deficit back to one as Mackin found himself alone in front and he was able to slide the puck through the legs of Jacobson as Mackin came across the crease.

The top line combined for 1 goal and 4 assists tonight, but they were checked pretty closely most of the night. At times it appeared the Mackin was wearing either Luke McColgan or Eric Roberts as a jacket tonight considering how closely they were keeping Mackin within reach.

One of the areas I felt that Chilliwack had as a strong suit in this series was their balance. It came to the forefront in game two with six different goal scorers. Scott Davidson tipped home a Jake Hand shot for a the 5-2 goal.

Then with Brendan Gulka in the room after taking a double minor for roughing and getting a misconduct, Craig Puffer finished off the scoring tipping home a Dennis Chylowski point shot.

Chilliwack finished the night 2 for 4 on the power play while the Express were 1 for 4.

The Chiefs outshot the Express 41-36.

They say you're never in trouble in a playoff series until you lose at home.

The Express certainly hope that is true. Game 3 will be Friday night in Coquitlam

No comments: