Saturday, March 5, 2016


24 hours later it was a stark contrast from game 1 to game 2 between the Express and Chiefs. From a 3-2 Chiefs win in game 1, it was a 9-1 drubbing by the Chiefs in game 2 to take a 2-0 series lead. Click here for boxscore

The only thing that resembled game one was how patient the game was played. At least early on anyways.

The Express completely sat back in the neutral zone with no intention whatsoever of forechecking. And Chilliwack showed no interest at times whatsoever rushing the puck up the ice. Instead the Chiefs, just played catch with the puck below their own goal line. It was a bit of a farce to the game of hockey.

Eventually when Chilliwack rushed the puck up ice they just wanted to get the puck into the Express zone before going to work.

Once they gained entry into the Express zone they faced Tyger Howat who returned to the Express crease after missing the entire month of February with injury. It was a rude return to the lineup for the Express 20 year old goaltender.

Aaron O'Niell opened the scoring for Chilliwack beating Howat with a backhand. From there the floodgates quickly opened.

Jake Smith intercepted a rim around the boards in the Express zone and flipped the puck to the net and Smith found a loose puck and beat Howat with a backhand for a 2-0 Chiefs lead.

O'neill added his second of the net again beating Howat with a backhand to make it 3-0 Chiefs within the first 13 minutes.

Back to back Chiefs penalties gave the Express nearly four minutes of power play time to at least try and cut into the Chiefs lead, but Chilliwack killed off the back to back penalties.

Quickly upon the resumption of 5 on 5 play Vimal Sukumaran ripped a wrist shot over the shoulder of Howat for a 4-0 Chiefs lead.

With a four goal first period lead you would think that the Chiefs just came out guns ablazing. But Chilliwack just took their time to gain entry in the Express zone and broke down their coverage to set up quality scoring chances.

With so much focus on the Express trying to shutdown Jordan Kawaguchi in game 1, that story line was a complete non factor in game 2. That allowed the Chiefs depth to rise to the forefront.

Tyger Howat's return to the Express crease lasted just 20 minutes after 4 goals on 13 shots.

Lawson Fenton shut the door on the Chiefs for the first 15 minutes of the second period.

Then the goals resumed with three more Chiefs goals in the final 5 minutes of the second period by Kale Kane, Jack Smith and Dennis Cholowski to make it 7-0 through two periods.

Very little was left to decide by the time the third period rolled around. Mitch Newsome answered the question of whether Aidan Pelino would post a shutout. It wasn't meant to be on a power play goal by Newsome.

With the score being as lopsided as it was it was understandable that the Express would show their frustrations. Jackson Cressey dropped the gloves with Olivier Arseneau.

Vimal Sukumaran who was getting in the Express face all night got tangled up with Owen Stout. It all occurred right in front of the Express bench and Tyger Howat didn't like the treatment his teammate was receiving and reached off the bench to help defend his teammate. The Express goaltender was ejected with about 9 minutes remaining in the third period.

Chilliwack rounded out the scoring on goals by Jeremy Germain surprising Fenton off a face-off and Kohen Olischefski with one last power play goal.

The Chiefs outshot the Express 45-31. Their depth came shined through with 7 players scoring goals and 13 players registering at least one point.

The Express need to find a way to come up with their biggest performance of the season when game 3 arrives Monday night in Coquitlam.

No comments: