Sunday, January 20, 2013


The defending RBC Cup national champion Penticton Vees doubled the Express 6-3 on Sunday afternoon.

The visitors started quickly as Cody Depourcq and Wade Murphy scored on the first two Vees shots on rookie Daniel Urbani who got the start in goal for the Express.

Kolten Grieve cut the Express deficit down to one as his wrist shot from the left wing found it's way past Nic Renyard. The goal for Grieve was the start of a good game for the all AP line of Grieve, Spencer Quon and Cole Todd. That line had a number of good energy shifts in the Vees zone during the game. And their physicality was beneficial for the Express.

Adam Rossignol came close to tying the game at two for the Express as he had a great chance in front of the net, but his backhand went too high as he tried to roof it over Renyard.

One of the consistent story lines in this game was Penticton's response after Express goals.

Ryan Gropp protected the puck well against an Express defenceman and cut to the net and slid the puck through the legs of Urbani to give the Vees a 3-1 lead going to the second period.

The Express responded early in the second as Brad Ryan scored his first Express goal blasting it past Renyard from the right point just 35 seconds into the period.

Again the Vees had a quick response as former Express John Siemer got a breakaway and the slick forward made no mistake scoring on a slick deke to the forehand.

With the Express shorthanded Adam Rossignol had a chance for redemption for his chance in the first period as he was hauled down going to the net and was awarded on the penalty shot.

On the free pass, he shaded to the right but was denied as he tried to snap a shot to the stick side on Renyard.

The second period was notable for the Express for the powerplays they had. They couldn't score on a double minor powerplay which also included a 5 on 3 for nearly 2 minutes.

Late in the period the man advantage did strike as Marc Biega scored his second of the year firing a point shot past a screened Renyard.

For a third time in the game the Vees responded to an Express goal to restore their two goal lead. This was a tough one to take for the Express. Wade Murphy's shot from the slot was stopped, but the rebound bounced off the backside of Sam Mellor and past Urbani to give the Vees a 5-3 lead.

Chad Katunar started the third period in goal for Penticton. He finished the game strong for the Vees turning away all 8 Express shots sent his way.

Brad McClure finished the scoring into an empty net in the final seconds of the game.

The Express are on the road the next two weekends with a double dip in Prince George next weekend followed the next weekend with stops in Vernon and Penticton.

No comments: