Thursday, February 5, 2015


Brett Supinski's third overtime winner of the season gave the Express a 3-2 overtime win over the Mainland division leading Chilliwack Chiefs. Supinski and Mackin set one another up in the third period and overtime for the come from behind victory. The game started quickly, the pace of play in the first period was fast and as even as you could get. There weren't many shots just 7-5 in favour of Chilliwack, but that doesn't give a true indication of how well the two teams played the first period. Things began to pick up in the second period. Corey Mackin had a great chance to open the scoring as he got free on a shorthanded breakaway from his own blueline but was shut down by David Jacobson as Mackin tried to snap his 9th shorthanded goal of the season five hole. Moments later Chilliwack opened the scoring as the puck was flipped in on Chris Tai from centre ice, he thought he had the puck but it was sitting beside him and Kurt Black was able to poke home the loose puck for a powerplay goal to open the scoring. This game marked the return of captain Joey Santucci to the lineup after missing 18 of the last 22 games. He was quickly re-united with his regular linemates from earlier this season Colton Kerfoot and Jackson Cressey. And they quickly resumed the chemistry they had before Kerfoot and Santucci missed most of the last two months with injuries. Kerfoot flipped the puck up to Santucci who was in behind the Chilliwack defense and the Express captain snapped home his 11th of the season to even the score at one. Jackson Cressey drew the second assist on the goal. There weren't many mistakes made by either team in this game. But the ones the Express made in the second period ended up in their net. They had trouble moving the puck quickly out from behind their own net under Chilliwack pressure and a quick turnover resulted in Jordan Kawaguchi scoring in the final minute of the second period to give the Chiefs the lead going to the third period. Through two periods the Express had only mustered 11 shots on goal and needed to start getting more pucks on the Chilliwack net. That's exactly what happend and nearly five minutes into the third the Express equalized. And it was the familiar duo of Mackin and Supinski who took over the game. Supinski set up Mackin off the rush at the side of the Chilliwack net and the BCHL scoring leader snapped home his 44th goal of the season. The Express surpassed their total for the first two periods of 11 shots with 13 in the third period but overtime was required for a second time between the two teams this season. Mackin and Supinski ended the suspense just 38 seconds into overtime as Corey Mackin put the puck in front of Supinski who tipped home his 3rd overtime winner this season just before the was tackled in front of the net to give the Express the 3-2 win. The win extended the Express' winning streak to four games overall and five straight on home ice. They also picked up their 2nd win in 7 tries vs. Chilliwack this season. Up next the Express head north for their final two games of the regular season up in Prince George Friday and Saturday.

No comments: