Friday, October 9, 2015


Taylor Green battles in front of the net -  Photo courtesy of Damon James
Jeremy Leipsic scored his second of the game in double overtime to give the Powell River Kings a 4-3 win over the Express. Click here for boxscore

It was the third straight game and fourth time in the last five outings for the Express to go past the 60 minutes. The loss was the first in overtime for the Express who saw their OT record fall to 3-1-1 this season.

The Express played without forward Austin McIlmurray who served a one game suspension for abuse of official Tuesday in West Kelowna. Lawson Fenton started in place of Tyger Howat who watched from the stands after suffering an injury Tuesday night.

Powell River opened the scoring 9 minutes into the game when Nick Halagian lobbed the puck in the air and it came down to Austin Kamer who deked past Fenton to open the scoring.

Jack Surowiec celebrates his 1st BCHL goal - Photo courtesy of Damon James
The Express battled back which would become a theme on the night. Jack Surowiec who took the place on the top line with Jackson Cressey and Colton Kerfoot found a loose puck after a Taylor Green shot and slid home his first BCHL goal on a backhand.

Leipsic struck for his first of the night in the second period when he finished off a give and go with Jake Kohlhauser for the second Kings lead of the night.

Dante Hahn & Luca Leone - Photo courtesy of Damon James

Captain Jackson Cressey evened things up for the Express going to the net and poking home a loose puck for a power play goal assisted by Colton Kerfoot and Charlie Barrow. The Express have a power play goal in 6 straight games.

Powell River took their third lead of the night when Rylan Ball roofed a shot over the left shoulder of Fenton who thought he took away the left side of the net. But Ball does deserves credit for a pretty slick shot upstairs.

Late in the second period the Kings had a chance to extend their lead when Dante Hahn and Jackson Cressey were called for penalties in quick succession leading to a 5 on 3 for 1:43. Powell River owned the puck in the Express end. But the penalty killers and most notably Lawson Fenton who rose to the occasion to keep the Express down only a goal. The Express finished off killing off all four Kings power plays.

Charlie Barrow scored for 3rd time in last 2 games - Photo courtesy of Damon James
Moments after the penalties expired early in the third period Charlie Barrow evened things up for the Express in the third period for a second straight game when his wrist shot over the glove of Jeff Smith found the back of the net.

Nothing was decided after 60 minutes. The best chance for the Express to win it in overtime was Colton Kerfoot setting up Jackson Cressey alone in front but Jeff Smith shut the door. He finished with 37 saves to earn his 5th straight win.

Lawson Fenton stops Tristan Mullin - Photo courtesy of Damon James
Lawson Fenton has done a very admirable job coming in and taking the Express crease since Tyger Howat went down on Tuesday. Friday night he was rock solid between the pipes. He kept the game alive with a great save on Tristan Mullin in four on four overtime. He finished with 42 saves.

The Kings finally prevailed in three on three when they were very patient controlling the puck in the Express zone. They were finally able to break down the Express defense and create room for Leipsic who snapped a shot home from the slot to extend the Kings winning streak to seven games.

Now the Express head south of the border for the first time in franchise history to play the Wenatchee Wild in their home opener Saturday before heading to Trail on Sunday.

No comments: