Friday, October 30, 2015


The Langley Rivermen picked up their second victory over the Express in just over a week with a 6-3 decision at the Langley Events Centre.

The visitors played shorthanded without the services of captain Jackson Cressey, Eric Udahl, defensemen Nic Coltura, Troy Robillard and goaltender Tyger Howat. 

As a result Langley got off to a quick jump on the Express. 

Justin Fregona got a big night started by finishing off a two on one with Matthew Graham opening the scoring just 1:19 into the game. 

Langley was flying in the first period. They opened up an early 10-1 advantage in shots. Matt Saharchuk blasted home a pass out from behind the net from Fregona for a 2-0 Rivermen lead at 5:30.

Jack Surowiec took the spot vacated by Jackson Cressey's absence centering the top line with Colton Kerfoot and Austin McIlmurray. Surowiec set up Kerfoot midway through the first period to cut the Langley lead in half. 

But the lead was right back to two for Langley 55 seconds later when Adam Sinclair beat a cheating Lawson Fenton with a sharp angle shot up over his left shoulder. 

Langley's speed really gave the Express problems in the first period. 

Matthew Graham busted out of his own zone at full speed ahead to lead the attack into the Express zone. He dished it to Fregona who threw the puck at the net creating a scramble that was finished off by Matt Saharchuk poking home a loose puck in the crease. 

The second period saw the Express find their lunch buckets. 

It started with Keegan Jones, Alex Ambrosio, Jonathan Irving and Matt Michie setting the tone. They put their work boots on the try and cut into the Langley lead. A pass out from behind the net by Michie was converted by Irving for his second of the season just 54 seconds into the second period.

Barry Wolff recognizing the impact the youngsters were having on the game and made sure to keep keep rewarding them with ice time. 

Owen Stout pulled the Express within one when Luca Leone got the puck to the net and on the second effort at the side of the Rivermen net Stout was able to jam it home to cut the deficit to one.

The Express had their chances to complete the comeback in the second period getting three power plays in the middle frame but the Express weren't able to convert on any of them. They finished 0 for 6 on the power play Friday. 

Langley got some bad news late in the second period when Bo Didur left the game with an injury favoring his leg. The knocked out the goaltender entered the game with the best save percentage and second best goals against average in the BCHL. 

Nick Trenciansky came off the bench to finish the game. Last week the Express were able to chase him just 8 minutes into the game after 2 goals on 5 shots. But it would be a different story Friday. He would shut the door making 11 saves in relief. 

Langley put the game away early in the third period just two minutes in when Logan Mick got a lucky break by firing the puck at the net from the corner and it bounced off Fenton's leg and in for a 5-3 Rivermen lead.

Justin Fregona capped off a four point night to put the finishing touches on the game by busting his tail from his own zone up the ice then taking a Mick saucer pass and finishing off a breakaway for his second of the game. 

The win improved Langley to 2-0 vs. the Express this season. Langley also opened up a 3 point lead on the Express for third place in the Mainland division. 

Up next the Express hit the road next weekend for a pair of games in Wenatchee.

No comments: