Friday, November 23, 2012


A great crowd of 1550 on Canucks alumni night saw a great back and forth game that saw the Coquitlam Express knock off the West Kelowna Warriors 5-4 in double overtime.

Phil Zielonka scored the overtime winner for the Express to snap their 5 game losing streak and pick up just their 2nd win in their last 8 games.

A balanced attack for the Express saw 12 different players hit the scoresheet.

The game was scoreless after 20 minutes of play with the Express outshooting the Warriors 11-9.

The teams certainly made up for the lack of goals from the first period in the second.

Coquitlam started fast jumping out to a quick 2-0 lead on goals by Zach Pryzbek and John Siemer.

Pryzbek was persistent hacking and whacking at the puck and was able to stuff it under Garrett Rockafellow.

1:20 later the Express expanded their lead to two. Beau Orser teed up a one timer for one of three new comers in the lineup for the Express Bradley Ryan. Ryan's shot was stopped but John Siemer was there to bang home the rebound.

For as quickly the Express took a two goal lead, the Warriors had a quick reply of their own. Braxton Bilous scored to pull the Warriors within one at 7:09. Following the goal, Express forward Justin Georgeson was called for cross checking giving the visitors a powerplay.

On the man advantage Brent Lashuk scored just 1:47 after the goal by Bilous and the game was even at two.

West Kelowna struck for their third straight goal of the period as Ambrose Firkus scored with a wrist shot from the left wing over the shoulder of Cole Huggins.

The Express responded just 42 seconds later. Alexander Kerfoot finished off a odd man rush with Will Cook and wired a wrist shot over the glove of Rockafellow to tie the game at three and the sixth goal of the period.

Brandon Morley scored for a second straight game in the third period to put the Express back in the lead. He scored off a rush from the left side.

With time running down in the third period, the Warriors were able to tie the game up. Reid Simmonds scored with a wrist shot from the slot sneaking it through Cole Huggins.

The game remained tied at 4 after the first overtime. It didn't take long in the second overtime for the game to be decided. Phil Zielonka who hadn't hit the scoresheet yet fired a wrist shot from the right circle that powered it's way past Rockafellow to give the Express the dramatic overtime win.

Friday's game saw the three new comers to the Express Bradley Ryan, Mark Maciag and Travis Stephens make their Express debuts. And they all had an impact on the game with all three players picking up an assist.

The game also saw the return of defenceman Mark Biega who played his first game since September 29th in Victoria. He had a hand in Zielonka's overtime winner.

The final shots saw the Warriors outshoot the Express 40-33. Cole Huggins clutched up with the game on the line with 9 saves in overtime.

The two teams will meet again for the second of their home and home this weekend Saturday night in West Kelowna.

No comments: