Sunday, November 29, 2015


The Chilliwack Chiefs struck four times in the first period with three coming late in the opening twenty minutes en route to a 6-3 win over the Express Saturday night. Click here for boxscore

The Express had a good start playing with plenty of energy and looking ready to battle. But it was Chilliwack who struck first with Jordan Kawaguchi opening the scoring midway through the first period.

That goal didn't deter the Express who showed signs of trying to pull even. Jackson Cressey had the best chance for the Express getting his stick lifted just as he was about to tap in a centering pass from Colton Kerfoot from behind the net.

Then in a quick blink of an eye the game turned in Chilliwack's favour. Luke Adam scored on a slap shot that was tipped in the high slot for a 2-0 Chiefs lead. That was quickly followed by goals from Kale Kane and Vimal Sukumaran and it was 4-0 Chilliwack after the first period. Chilliwack scored three times in a 2:27 span to end the first period and they outshot the Express 19-8 in the period.

It was more of the same for Chilliwack in the second period. But they couldn't get another puck past Tyger Howat. The Express goaltender faced 54 shots Saturday. But he didn't have much luck on any of the four goals that got past him in the first period.

The game was delayed midway through the second period when a Austin McIlMurray hit in the corner popped out a pane of glass.

The delay allowed the Express to settle things down a little and get a boost when play resumed.

Moments after the resumption of play Alex Ambrosio got the Express on the board finding a loose puck in the crease and sliding it past Aiden Pelino.

Late in the second period the lead was cut to 4-2 on a power play goal by Jackson Cressey with a quick shot from the slot. Cressey has four goals in his last two games.

The Express weren't able to muster up much in the third period looking to complete the comeback.

Jesse Lansdell put the Chiefs back up by three snapping home the rebound of a Kale Kane shot with less than three minutes remaining in the third period.

Owen Stout capped off the scoring for the Express wiring a wrist shot top shelf over the glove of Pelino with 1:39 remaining. The Express finished with 24 shots.

Lansdell then added his second of the game in the final minute of the third period into an empty net.

Next week will be a busy one for the Express with four games in five nights with lots of travel in between. It starts Wednesday night at home vs. Vernon. Then the Express are in Prince George Thursday then returning to Chilliwack Friday. A day off Saturday then the Express host Alberni Valley Sunday afternoon. 

No comments: