Friday, November 13, 2015


Taylor Green takes part in pre-game veterans night ceremony - Photo courtesy of Damon James
Luca Leone scored the double overtime winner to give the Express their second overtime win over the Victoria Grizzlies this season.

This time the result was 4-3 in favour of the Express. Click here for boxscore

Many of the same contributors for the Express in their win Wednesday at Langley also chipped in Friday night.

Leone taps in OT winner - Photo courtesy of Damon James
Alex Ambrosio picked up where he left off Wednesday where he scored into an empty net to seal the win opened the scoring Friday. His linemates Jonathan Irving and Keegan Jones worked to get the puck out of the defensive zone. Then Jones broke away with Ambrosia on a two on one and Jones laid a perfect pass across to Ambrosio who finished off his third of the season on the backhand.

That goal gave the Express some momentum which led to at least three good scoring chances only to be turned away by Matthew Galajda who kept the Express lead at just one.

Former Express Dante Hahn had a hand in pulling the Grizzlies even late in the first period when he made a pass out from behind the Express net to find Brayden Gelsinger who slid a shot under Howat to tie the game at one after the first period.

McIlMurray had two assists - Photo courtesy of Damon James
Colton Kerfoot tied the game at four for the Express Wednesday in Langley. Friday, he gave the Express a 2-1 lead when he took the puck to the net from the right wing side flipping the puck over the glove of Galajda. That made up for a breakaway opportunity Kerfoot missed earlier in the period when he again tried to lift the puck over the glove of the Victoria goaltender.

1:27 later the Express added to their lead with Jack Surowiec scoring for a second straight game ripping home a wrist shot from the slot. Linemates Kerfoot and Austin McIlmurray picked up the helpers. McIlMurray finished with two assists.

Like the first period, Victoria struck late in the second period. The puck came free to Nick Guiney and from the circle he beat Howat with a shot top shelf.

Eric Udahl throws a hit - Photo courtesy of Damon James
The Grizzlies caught a break in the third period to pull even. Keyvan Mokhtari from the corner threw the puck in front and it bounced in off Cody Van Lierop to tie the score at three.

Then the goaltenders took over to send the game to overtime. Howat shut the door as the Grizzlies had an edge in play after pulling even.

At the other end Galajda shut the Express down when tested with 13 third period shots sent his way.

So for the second straight meeting between the teams it went past 60 minutes. Charlie Barrow was the overtime hero for the Express in Victoria on October 1st.

Nothing was settled in the first overtime of 5 minutes 4 on 4.

The most important lesson for all players in 3 on 3 is puck management.

The Express capitalized on a Grizzlies mistake to set up the winner. A Victoria defenceman swept the puck around behind his own net but didn't have a partner back to support him. Luca Leone got on his horse and raced the puck to set up Kerfoot alone in front of the Victoria net, Kerfoot was patient and waited for Leone to go to the net and Kerfoot set up Leone for a tap in to give the Express the 4-3 victory. The loss snapped Victoria's winning streak at 5 games.

Tyger Howat made 34 saves - Photo courtesy of Damon James
Leone scored his second goal in as many games. Kerfoot finished with 1 goal and 2 assists while on his way to first star honors.

It was also a pretty clean game with only one power play in the game going to Victoria in the second period.

Tyger Howat finished with 34 saves for his 5th win of the season.

The two wins for the Express will go a long way to help prepare for a big test next week for a pair of games with Penticton and a visit from Wenatchee. Friday the Vees extended their winning streak to 21 straight games with a win in West Kelowna. 

No comments: